PYATIGORSK, March 30 (Itar-Tass) —— Approximately 1,400 crimes of unlawful diversion and embezzlement of funds were exposed in the North Caucasian Federal District last year, and 1,076 criminal cases were opened, head of the Russian Prosecutor General’s Office department in the North Caucasian Federal District Artyom Melnikov told reporters in Pyatigorsk on Friday.
He said the damage totaled 2.5 billion rubles but only 2.8% of it was compensated (69 million rubles). “Courts have taken up 518 cases and 361 persons have been convicted,” Melnikov said.
North Caucasian republics live on subsidies, and almost 270 billion rubles were granted to them last year alone. “These funds catch attention of criminal groups, which seek contact with public officers distributing and spending budgetary funds,” he said.
Prosecutors have also exposed over 14,000 violations of budget laws and initiated disciplinary penalties of 1,766 persons and administrative penalties of 958 persons. The courts upheld nearly 600 claims of prosecutors with the total value of 20 million rubles.