BEIJING, March 29 (Itar-Tass) — Guaranteed stability and peace at the Korean Peninsula and in East Asia is of interests of all sides involved in the process of settlement of the situation in the region, Spokesperson of China’s Foreign Ministry Hong Lei said on Thursday, answering the request from reporters to comment on the recent decision of Barack Obama’s administration to suspend food aid to the DPRK.
The American side explained the decision by the DPRK’s plans to launch a satellite using a booster, and Washington considered them to be violating the agreement reached in February.
“China is taking positively the agreements between the US and the DPRK, reached during the negotiations in Beijing in the end of last month between representatives of those two countries,” the diplomat said. “The Chinese side hopes North Korea and the US will continue the bilateral dialogue which favours improvement of relations between those two countries.”
“China expresses its concern about the situation and hopes the involved sides will be settling peacefully and by diplomatic methods the existing disputes,” he continued.
In late February, representatives of the US and the DPRK had negotiations in China’s capital city. Following the negotiations, Pyongyang announced it introduces a moratorium on nuclear and rocket tests, as well as on the programme to enrich uranium in the Yongbyon Nuclear Scientific Research Centre. Abama’s administration, in its turn, promised to provide 240,000 tonnes of food aid.