Currency converter
All news
News Search Topics
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting

Petersburg court extends arrest of former ultimate fighting champion

March 15, 2012, 15:49 UTC+3

Datsik cannot have such treatment in a remand prison, the lawyer said

1 pages in this article

ST PETERSBURG, March 15 (Itar-Tass) — A city court on Thursday ruled that former ultimate fighting champion Vyacheslav Datsik will remain in custody during his trial which began on March 21.

Earlier in the day, the court extended custody for Datsik by six months, having turned down his lawyer' petition to change the measure of restraint for a softer one.

"There are no reasons to change the measure of restraint," stated judge Igor Sokhanenko, who reviewed the case.

He also turned down Datsik's petition to have the case considered by a panel of jurors.

The defendant was brought to the Nevsky district court amid unprecedented security measures. The former no-holds-barred fighting champion, also known as Red Tarzan, notorious for his nationalist views, was led into the court by a large police convoy. At least ten police officers stayed back in the courtroom during the hearing.

On March 21, the court is expected to begin substantive hearings of the case against Datsik, accused of robbing a mobile phone retailer in Petersburg in August 2010. The crime was committed immediately after his escape from a psychiatric hospital in the Leningrad region. He was also charged under Article 167 of Russia’s Criminal Code /"malicious damage of other's property"/ for church arson.

The defendant's lawyer Vadim Degtyaryov lodged a petition asking the court to release Datsik on recognizance or on bail, or place him under house arrest. He explained that three were two effective rulings on Datsik by Russian courts which had found him insane and ordered mandatory psychiatric treatment.

Datsik cannot have such treatment in a remand prison, the lawyer said.

Datsik has been under arrest for about 12 month. In March 2011, he was placed in the Kresty remand prison in Petersburg after his extradition from Norway at the request of Russian law-enforcement bodies.

Norwegian police detained him in September 2010, when he tried to get political asylum there.

Datsik had been in custody until March 2011 for crimes in the territory of Norway. He had been accused of illegal keeping of firearms, document forgery and hiding stolen things. In December 2010, an Oslo court sentenced him to 8 months in prison. Datsik was deported to Russia before he had served out his sentence.


Show more
In other media
Partner News