MOSCOW, March 14 (Itar-Tass) — "The Moscow authorities had no rights to amend a menu of meals served in kindergartens," Rospotrebnadzor Chief Gennady Onishchenko told a press conference at Itar-Tass on Wednesday.
A new menu was introduced in Moscow kindergartens since the beginning of this year, but parents of children in many Moscow districts criticized the quality of meals served to the kids under the new menu. The parents claimed that semi- finished products and vitamin additives added to food caused allergy. The Moscow authorities promised to improve the situation.
The Rospotrenbnadzor chief has confirmed the fact of the abuse of power, saying the regional authorities had no right to abruptly give up the menu earlier recommended to the kids. Before switching over to the new menu it had been promised that the new menu would have more vitamins, more micro elements, but in reality the products used fell short of the expectations, Onishchenko admitted. "We are looking into the situation and an inquest has been appointed," Onishchenko said.
"I think we will punish those who exceeded their powers,” he said.
Onishchenko said that the information about a growing number of incidents of allergy among children was not confirmed, but he gave due to the parental community who closely watch what food is given to their children.