Currency converter
All news
News Search Topics
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting

Stavropol terrorist gets life

March 13, 2012, 15:07 UTC+3

Rustamov will serve his sentence in a special regime penitentiary

1 pages in this article


MOSCOW, March 13 (Itar-Tass) — The Stavropol territory court on Tuesday sentenced to life imprisonment an accomplice to the act of terror near the Palace of Culture and Sports in Stavropol in May 2010, in which eight persons died and another 57 were hurt.

"The evidence gathered by investigators is sufficient for passing a verdict for Cherkes Rustamov, a 21-year-old native of the Republic of Dagestan. He was found guilty of the commission of crimes under Article 205, Part 3 /act of terror/, Article 222 /illegal turnover of explosive devices/, Article 327 /attempted murder of law-enforcement personnel/ and Article 282, Part 1 /inciting hate or strife/. Two articles envision a penalty of up to life imprisonment," Investigation Committee /SK/ spokesman Vladimir Markin told Itar-Tass.

"The court and the investigator ascertained that at 18:45, Moscow time, on May 26, 2010, Rustamov, together with Dagestan natives Farid Misriyev and Abibulla Abdullayev set off an explosive device by means of a timer near the Palace of Culture and sports, killing eight persons and injuring another 57, including 14 police," Markin noted.

Abdullayev made the bomb, and Misriyev planted it. Rustamov, a student at the Stavropol Medical College, who knew the city well, transported the bomb to the place of destination.

Rustamov will serve his sentence in a special regime penitentiary.

Misriyev was destroyed in a special operation in June 2011, and Abdullayev was killed during a robbery in Stavropol in September 2010.

The bomb with a yield of some 500 grams of TNT detonated near the cafe close to the Palace of Culture and Sports when there were many people there at the time. The explosion occurred 15 minutes before the concert of the Chechen Vainakh dance group, as many viewers gathered at the entrance. Six persons, including a 12-year-old girl, died on the spot. A woman and an 18-year-old Stavropol resident died in hospital later.

Rustamov was detained in November 2010. The case over the Stavropol act of terror in 2010 was sent to the court last September. The trial has lasted since October 2011.


Show more
In other media
Partner News