Maria Sharapova removed from Women's Tennis RankingsSport October 24, 11:17
Developer shows first image of Russia's new Sarmat ballistic missileMilitary & Defense October 24, 10:15
Moody's revises outlook on Russia's banking system to ‘stable’Business & Economy October 24, 10:00
Russia and Belarus held joint airborne drills in BrestMilitary & Defense October 24, 8:16
District head: all people on board crashed helicopter in Transbaikal deadSociety & Culture October 24, 8:16
Kremlin ex-chief: Russia is ready to open new page in relations with US after electionsRussian Politics & Diplomacy October 24, 4:10
Russian inspectors to hold observation flight over TurkeyRussian Politics & Diplomacy October 24, 2:30
Steinmeier: Further anti-Russian sanctions may hamper talksWorld October 23, 23:31
Qatari former Emir Sheikh Khalifa bin Hamad Al Thani dies aged 84World October 23, 23:08
MOSCOW, March 12 (Itar-Tass) — All illegal actions in Libya, including violations of human rights by NATO, should be investigated thoroughly and bring to responsibility guilty persons, the Russian Foreign Ministry reported on Monday.
Commenting on a final report by the international independent commission on the investigation in Libya, the ministry said, “We rivet special attention to the incident proving that about 80 supporters of Al-Gaddafi’s regime were executed at Mahari Hotel in the city of Sirt and that all houses and administrative buildings were practically destroyed in the city.”
“The commission revealed many cases of violent abductions, tortures and extrajudicial executions of supporters of the previous regime, supposed mercenaries and representatives of ethnic minorities. According the commission’s assessment, Libyan rebels’ actions can be qualified as military crimes,” the Russian ministry said.
“We are seriously concerned about the commission’s conclusion saying the Libyan authorities do not conduct necessary investigations into the crimes, which had been revealed earlier. Till now none among Libyan revels has been brought to responsibility. The commission also voices concern about the fact that Libyan prisons turned out to be beyond national legislation and are fully controlled by local armed groups,” the ministry said.
“The commission’s conclusions on NATO actions during United Defender Operation are discordant with the statements by Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen, who denied victims among civilians. International experts said at least 60 people had been killed and 55 people injured during the NATO air attacks. According to other reports, at least 34 people died during the NATO air strikes on the settlement of Majir on August 8, 2011,” the ministry said.
“The commission points out that it prepared information on the involvement of certain forces in crimes in Libya. It will be handed over to the Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights. Reports prove that it is necessary to continue the international investigation into human rights violations in Libya and to take an active part in this process by Commissioner Navanethem Pillay,” the ministry said.
“We believe that all illegal actions, including human rights violations by NATO, should be thoroughly investigated. Those who are guilty of crimes should be brought to responsibility,” the ministry said.