Rosneft and RBC reach friendly settlement on defamation lawsuitBusiness & Economy June 26, 18:50
Number of centers issuing FAN IDs to be increased ahead of FIFA Confederations Cup FinalSport June 26, 18:33
News about anti-doping probe against Russian football team players is fake — executiveSport June 26, 18:25
Putin refers to State Duma Council of Europe convention against financing terrorismRussian Politics & Diplomacy June 26, 18:15
Russia to lay down 2 diesel-electric submarines for Pacific Fleet in JulyMilitary & Defense June 26, 18:07
Russia’s Khramtsov wins first gold at 2017 World Taekwondo ChampionshipsSport June 26, 18:03
Russian Navy to get four frigates by 2020Military & Defense June 26, 17:41
Elated football fans gearing up for exciting matches at 2017 FIFA Confederations CupSport June 26, 16:55
Russia to float out first modernized nuclear submarine in AugustMilitary & Defense June 26, 16:54
NEW YORK, March 5 (Itar-Tass) —— A New York court has decided to postpone the announcement of the verdict to Russian businessman Viktor Bout found guilty in November 2010 of arms smuggling conspiracy till March 28.
Earlier, the verdict was scheduled to be read out on March 12. By so ruling, Federal Judge Shira Scheindlin upheld an appeal for postponement filed by Bout’s lawyer Albert Dayan.
In late February, Scheindlin ordered that Bout be transferred from solitary confinement in a special prison in Manhattan to a general prison in Brooklyn.
Bout, 45, who has been found guilty of arms contraband, may get from 25 years in prison.
On November 2, 2011, the jury at a New York court proclaimed Bout guilty on all four counts.
According to the charges brought against Bout, 44, he may face from 25 years in prison to life imprisonment.
Bout’s lawyer Albert Dayan quoted his defendant as saying that the struggle in the American court “is not over yet and there are chances to be freed”.
“We are strongly disappointed by the jury's decision. But this is not the end. This is the beginning of our new struggle,” the lawyer said.
Dayan sent an appeal to Scheindlin on November 11, asking her to annul the verdict delivered by the jury that found his defendant guilty on all four counts and said the jury might have been prejudiced.
He asked the judge to appoint a new hearing where the jury will be asked whether or not they were influenced by any information other than that presented in court.
Bout’s wife, Alla, said earlier she doubted that the trial of her would be impartial and correct.
“Viktor's case has become a political one. I doubt that it will be a correct and impartial trial and won't be lobbied by the U.S. government,” she said.
She noted how much money had been spent to hype the case.
“My husband continues to be demonised in the U.S.,” she said.
Moscow believes that the evidence collected against Bout "is too thin to make far-reaching accusations". The Foreign Ministry thinks that a situation where Russian citizens fall victim to U.S. justice on the basis of broad interpretation of law is unacceptable.
Bout was arrested in Bangkok in March 2008 at a U.S. request and extradited to the U.S. in November 2010. He has been charged with masterminding the sale of a large shipment of arms.
Four charges have been brought against him: criminal conspiracy to kill US nationals, conspiracy to kill officials in public service, criminal conspiracy to purchase and sell antiaircraft missiles and criminal conspiracy to supply weapons to terrorist groups. The Russian citizen has pleaded not guilty on all the points.