Emelianenko-Mitrione bout postponed due to American’s illnessSport February 19, 4:06
OSCE unable to identify perpetrators of cyber attacks against it - secretary generalWorld February 19, 4:02
Russian biathletes win gold in relay at 2017 IBU World Championships in AustriaSport February 18, 18:30
Putin signs decree on recognition of documents given to Donbass peopleRussian Politics & Diplomacy February 18, 17:26
Sberbank CEO says no repeat of crisis in the short termBusiness & Economy February 18, 17:24
Judging by certain statements at Munich Conference, "cold war" is still not over — LavrovRussian Politics & Diplomacy February 18, 15:19
Bout’s lawyers will challenge Court of Appeals’ decision in Supreme Court on February 21Russian Politics & Diplomacy February 18, 7:16
Turkish Minister reproaches NATO for not fulfilling obligations on its south-eastern flankWorld February 18, 7:12
Moody's upgrades outlook on Russia’s sovereign rating to stable from negativeBusiness & Economy February 18, 2:37
MOSCOW, February 29 (Itar-Tass) — On Wednesday Moscow's Tverskoi court will begin reviewing former Menatep director Platon Lebedev's damages suit, in connection with his illegal custody from August 17 through to November 17, 2010, the court's press service told Itar-Tass.
The defendant is the Finance Ministry.
In April 2011, the Russian Supreme Court acknowledged that Lebedev was kept in custody illegally in the designated period, when a second criminal case against him was investigated.
The Supreme Court's ruling has no legal consequences for Lebedev, except for the opportunity to demand compensation for moral damage, because at that time, he was also in custody as a person convicted within the first Yukos case.
In February, Lebedev's lawyers lodged another similar complaint, demanding compensation for the arrest in the period from May 17 through to August 17, 2010. The Supreme Court acknowledged that custody during that period was illegal as well. The date for reviewing the second suit has not been set yet.
On December 30, 2010, Moscow's Khamovniki court sentenced former Yukos CEO Mikhail Khodorkovsky and his business associate, former MENTEP director Platon Lebedev to 14 years in prison for theft of oil and money laundering. Lebedev, and Khodorkovsky and their lawyers appealed the ruling.
On May 24, 2011, the Moscow City Court reduced their sentence by one year. The verdict became effective.
The Moscow City Court later turned down their supervisory appeals.
In Moscow, the convicted persons petitioned for parole, as they had already served more than half of their terms. The parole petitions later were turned down.
Khodorkovsky and Lebedev's jail terms expire in 2016.