Investigators claim to have enough evidence to prove Serebrennikov guilty of fraudRussian Politics & Diplomacy August 22, 21:35
Washington tries to use events in Khan Shaykhun to justify its strike on Syria — MoscowRussian Politics & Diplomacy August 22, 21:31
Egypt to receive 15 Russian 'Alligator' helicopters in 2017Military & Defense August 22, 19:57
Christophe de Margerie LNG tanker covers Northern Sea Route in record 6.5 daysBusiness & Economy August 22, 19:32
Kirill Serebrennikov dismisses fraud accusations as absurdSociety & Culture August 22, 19:18
From climate to transport: Arctic projects of Russian and Japanese scientistsBusiness & Economy August 22, 19:10
Trump’s Afghan strategy implies attempts to address issues by military means — analystWorld August 22, 19:00
Russian defense chief tests new neural network-based combat moduleMilitary & Defense August 22, 18:41
Poroshenko seeks to discuss alleged nuclear missile supplies to North Korea in UNWorld August 22, 18:31
TSKHINVAL, February 9 (Itar-Tass) - About 3,000 people gathered on Thursday for a rally in the central square of the South Ossetian capital in support of March 25 presidential election in the republic. This is three times more than was declared by the organiser – the South Ossetian Public Chamber.
There was not enough space for everyone in the square, so the rally participants occupied all the adjacent streets, Itar-Tass reports from the scene. The rally participants carry the flags of South Ossetia, Russia and all the political parties, representatives of which are also in the square.
“We pin major hopes on March 25 election. We are sure that the worthily held presidential election will be the decisive factor for stabilising the situation and steady further development of the republic, strengthening of its image in the international community,” acting parliament speaker Zurab Kokoyev told Itar-Tass.
The rally is held on the eve of the so-called inauguration of ex-presidential candidate in the November election Alla Dzhioyeva scheduled for February 10. Her venture is not supported even by her closest allies. On Wednesday, ex-Minister of Defence Anatoly Barankevich once again urged Dzhioyeva to cancel inauguration. “My opinion is clear, and you have already understood from the speech, from the press, from my statement that the inauguration should not be held. This could destabilise the situation and lead to bloodshed, it is my personal opinion that was not imposed by anybody on me,” he said.
“I was one of the originators of this opposition, and if, God forbid, blood is spilled, I will never forgive myself. Blame for this blood will also be put on me. I appeal to all, think and do not make harsh statements, do not make any sharp movements, let’s settle everything in a civilised, normal manner within the law. Let’s wait for March 25 and hold the election in an organised way,” Barankevich said.
Ex-candidate of South Ossetia's presidential elections Alla Dzhioyeva announced that she “will enter the office” of the republican head on February 10. Dzhioyeva did not indicate a place of the “inauguration.” The ex-candidate told reporters on Sunday that she intends to address this point with the acting South Ossetian President Vadim Brovtsev. “I shall enter the office on February 10. I cannot indicate so far a place of the inauguration. I request South Ossetia's acting President Vadim Brovtsev to transfer power in a civilised way, as it is proper for a legally elected president,” Dzhioyeva said.