Currency converter
All news
News Search Topics
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting

Moscow police releases Tuesday rally participants

February 01, 2012, 10:24 UTC+3

Protesters detained in Moscow's Triumfalnaya Square are released

1 pages in this article


MOSCOW, February 1 (Itar-Tass) — All individuals detained in Moscow's Triumfalnaya Square for attempting to hold an unsanctioned rally have been set free, after police drew protocols of administrative offence, the interior department of the central district of the Russian capital told Itar-Tass on Tuesday.

"All the 49 people who gathered for an unsanctioned rally on Tuesday evening were released from the police stations. The authorities drew proposals against Kosyakin, Savenko and Limonov under Article 20.2 Part 1 "violation of the established procedure for organizing or holding meetings, rallies, marches or picketing", which envisions a fine up to 2,000 roubles," a police officer said.

Some 100 people took part in the unsanctioned rally, including 30 mass media representatives. Police detained 49 protesters. Among them were the Other Russia leader Eduard Limonov and  the Leftist Front activist Konstantin Kosyakin. Police said Kosyakin, Savenko and Limonov were to report to a magistrate on February 9.

Reports said the situation in Triumfalnaya Square was calm on January 31. Law-enforcement personnel sealed the area and sent reinforcements there, including interior troops and special task police force units. 

Reinforced police units were in the Mayakovskaya subway station, while the road police patrol was handling traffic in fron of the station.

The Other Russia was the only movement that had announced its participation in the unsanctioned rally. Opposition parties traditionally rally on the 31st day in support of the 31st article of the Constitution. The Moscow authorities do not allow such actions in Triumfalnaya Square and suggest other venues instead, but Strategy 31 routinely rejects the offer. This time, the protesters were duly warned again that their action was illegal.

Show more
In other media
Partner News