ASTANA, December 18 (Itar-Tass) —— The death toll of riots in Zhanaozen, western Kazakhstan’s Mangistau region, has grown to 13, Kazakh Prosecutor General’s Office spokesman Nurdaulet Suindikov said on Sunday.
“According to the latest reports, the riots hurt 86 people, and 13 are dead,” he said.
About 60 people have been detained for breaching the curfew, which was announced in the city on Saturday. Eight are arrested on suspicion of their involvement in the riots.
He also said that an attempt to seize a court building and attacks on police officers had been prevented.
“An attempt to seize the building of the Zhanaozen administrative court, looting and attacks on police officers have been prevented over the past day,” he said.
“Claims of the alleged bloodbath are totally unfounded. That is misinformation spread with provocative goals,” he said.
“The police did not use firearms during the day,” he said.