TIRASPOL, December 11 (Itar-Tass) — Russian peacekeepers will serve their duty in a normal mode during the presidential election in the breakaway Dniester region on Sunday, the commander of the Russian peacekeeping contingent in Moldova, Colonel Anatoly Zverev said on Saturday.
“No additional security measures in the run-up to the election had been taken. The situation is stable and remains under control,” he said.
“We’ve conducted a unique peacekeeping operation. For 19 years there had been no outbreak of violence, no person was killed. Through our efforts we created all conditions for politicians to regulate the situation by peaceful and political means,” Zverev said.
Peace and stability in the region is secured by the joint peacekeeping force including military contingents from Russia (335 servicemen), Moldova (453 servicemen), the Dniester region (490servicemen) and a group of military observers from Ukraine (10 officers).
The contingents were deployed there soon after the armed conflict in the Dniester region in 1992. Then the Russian contingent consisted of 2,400 servicemen. However, in 1997 it was reduced to two battalions and in 1998 in compliance with the Odessa agreements Russia unilaterally reduced its peacekeepers to 500.