MOSCOW, November 21 (Itar-Tass) —— There are no risks for Russians vacationing at Egyptian resorts, the executive director of the Russian Association of Travel Operators, Maya Lomidze, told Itar-Tass on Monday, commenting on recommendation of the Russian Foreign Ministry to refrain from trips outside resort areas.
“There are no risks for tourists who stay within the resort areas because there are no clashes in these areas,” she said and added that travel companies also recommend the vacationers not leave their resorts.
According to Lomidze, so far no one has cancelled trips to Egypt. “The ministry recommendations are unlikely to daunt Russians but the developments highlighted in the media might influence their choice,” she said.
In her words, sales of New Year tours are rather sluggish so far. “The demand for trips to Egypt in January will be clear next month,” she noted.
Earlier in the day, the Russian Foreign Ministry expressed concern over ongoing events in Egypt and recommended tourists to refrain from making trips outside their resorts.
“The events that are underway in friendly Egypt arouse concerns,” a ministry official said. “Over the past several days, mass riots were reported in Cairo, Alexandria and other big cities of Egypt. These riots turned into clashes of protesters with police. According to the incoming reports, hundreds of people were wounded, casualties were reported.”