US imposes new sanctions on Syria over suspected chemical attackWorld April 24, 21:23
Russian businessman plans to build sailplane to fly around the globe nonstop in 5 daysScience & Space April 24, 19:50
Roscosmos excludes three cosmonauts from space teamScience & Space April 24, 19:34
Russian Foreign Ministry: Terrorists in Syria may get chemical weapons from Libya, IraqRussian Politics & Diplomacy April 24, 19:05
US not ready yet to restart arms control dialog, Russian diplomat saysRussian Politics & Diplomacy April 24, 18:57
Court recognizes Russia’s Sports Ministry as affected party in WADA whistleblower caseSport April 24, 18:48
Elephant, giraffe and wildcats found among Muscovites’ house petsSociety & Culture April 24, 17:48
Putin calls for setting apart real anti-corruption crusaders from political show-offsRussian Politics & Diplomacy April 24, 16:34
Moscow court turns down Jehovah’s Witnesses bid to fight Justice Ministry’s banWorld April 24, 16:08
BAIKONUR, November 14 (Itar-Tass) —— Russia does not intend to abandon its scientific space programmes even in case of failure of the Phobos-Grunt mission, Roscosmos Federal Space Agency head Vladimir Popovkin told reporters on Monday.
"We are revising our federal space programmes to increase the share of scientific and applied space. It means increasing of the finances by redistributing the resources from other programmes," he said.
The main goal of the Phobos-Grunt mission is to deliver samples of soil from Mars' moon Phobos.
The interplanetary station was launched with the Zenit-2SB rocket from Baikonur on November 9. The station was put into a low earth orbit, from where it was to move with its own engine system to the path to Mars. For some reasons unknown so far, the control system failed to give the command for the first propulsion start.
According to Popovkin, the spacecraft will remain in orbit until next February. However, the period during which specialists still can attempt to reanimate the station will end in early December.