MOSCOW, October 27 (Itar-Tass) —— Russia’s Federal Tourism Agency (Rostourism) is probing into the traffic accident in Saudi Arabia killing one and injuring six pilgrims from the Russian republic of Dagestan, the agency spokesman told Itar-Tass.
“According to our information, the accident took place in the vicinity of the city of Medinah. The bus with pilgrims was heading for Mecca,” Oleg Moiseyev said on Wednesday. In his words, one man was killed in the accident. Three are in serious condition, and three more – in condition of moderate gravity.
“We shall check the information we have,” he pledged.
Earlier in the day, a source in the Dagestan government told Itar-Tass that the pilgrims had arrived by plane in Jordan, from where they took a bus to get to Saudi Arabia to perform hajj. “About 14:00 Moscow time, the bus with the pilgrims overturned some 150 kilometers away from Medinah. The accident is said to be caused by the bus driver who got asleep while driving,” the source said.
An investigation is underway.