CHEBARKUL (Chelyabinsk Region), September 27 (Itar-Tass) — No progress has been achieved at the Russian-American talks on ABM. Americans continue to put their plans into effect at a high pace, Russian Deputy Defence Minister Anatoly Antonov has said.
“No breakthrough decisions have been made. Our American partners continue to implement their plans on the creation of the European segment of the American ABM system,” he told journalists here on Tuesday.
In his opinion, it is wrong to believe that “the NATO ABM system” is being created in Europe. “This is nonsense. In fact, Americans are implementing their plans in Europe. Unfortunately, the implementation of those plans goes on far more quickly, than the dialogue, maintained by Russia with the United States and NATO in that sphere,” Antonov said.
According to Antonov, Russia is ready for compromises, but within reasonable limits. “There is a certain ‘red line’ on what is connected with our defences, and in that sphere no compromises are possible,” he added. According to his information, the Defence Ministry is already considering “the whole range of military-technical measures” in case of a “threat emerging close to the Russian border.”
Russia continues to explain its proposals, including to the “sectoral ABM system,” to its partners, including Romania and Turkey, but without much success so far, Antonov continued.
“I would not say that ‘reset on ABM’ is in the deadlock. I think our U.S. and NATO partners realise that stubbornness on that problem will lead us nowhere. Decisions should be made, and a way out should be looked for. We outline our problems in a clear and transparent way, we explain why the implementation of the U.S. plans evokes our concern and we suggest ways of resolving the problem. They smile to us and go on with the implementation of their plans,” he stressed in conclusion.