Currency converter
News Feed
News Search Topics
Use filter
You can filter your feed,
by choosing only interesting

Baltic Shipyard launching first pollution-free oil tanker

September 27, 2011, 10:47 UTC+3
The tanker will be the first of four environmentally friendly vessels of Project 2734
Material has 1 page

ST. PETERSBURG, September 27 (Itar-Tass) — River routes and port harbours are included in the navigation routes of ecologically clean large-tonnage oil tanker that will be launched at the Baltic Shipyard on Tuesday.

The tanker will be the first of four environmentally friendly vessels of Project 2734. They are designed for transportation of petroleum products with vapour flash point of 60 degrees Celsius and higher, including those requiring heating. It is important for oil transfer to onshore terminals during the cold season. The vessel’s navigation area includes inland waterways and marine areas for non-propelled cargo vessels where the thickness of broken ice does not exceed 20 cm. The vessel has double-wall sides that in the event of the hull damage prevents damage to the tanks and contamination of waters.

OAO Baltic Shipyard is one of the largest enterprises of the Russian shipbuilding industry. The company specialises in building icebreakers and ice-class vessels (with atomic propulsion unit and diesel), heavy-tonnage vessels for the transportation of cargo, as well as warships. The plant produces a wide range of engineering products, power equipment. Is a supplier of nonferrous and steel castings.

The Baltic Shipyard (Baltiysky Zavod, formerly Shipyard-189) is one of the oldest shipyards in Russia. It is located in St. Petersburg in the south-western part of the Vasilyevsky Island. It is one of the three shipyards active in St. Petersburg. Together with the Admiralty Shipyard it has been responsible for building a large part of Imperial Russian battleships as well as Soviet nuclear powered icebreakers. Currently it is specialising in merchant ships while the Admiralty yard specialises in diesel-electric submarines.

The shipyard was founded in 1856 by the St. Petersburg merchant M. Carr and the Scotsman M. L. MacPherson. It subsequently became the Carr and MacPherson yard. In 1864 it built two monitors of the Uragan class. In 1874 the shipyard was sold to Prince Ochtomski. In 1934 the shipyard started work on the three prototypes for the Soviet S class submarine, based on a German design produced by the Dutch company Ingenieurskantoor voor Scheepsbouw.

Baltic Shipyard in St. Petersburg is a complete ship building company incorporating metallurgical production, marine machine fabrication and construction, power engineering, woodwork production, engineering department, and research and development division. This shipyard has three slipways for launching all categories of ships. This Russian shipyard builds commercial vessels, and assembles nuclear powered warships and icebreakers, chemical carriers, dry bulk commercial vessels, and special duty liners. It is a manufacturer of marine products like boilers, blades, shafts, fittings, and heat exchangers. It also builds modular cabins and makes furniture.

Baltic Shipyard also builds ships, especially warships on order from foreign governments or private enterprises. Some such orders include: 3 Frigates, the Trishul, Talwar, and Tabar were built for the Indian Navy in 2002. These warships were fitted with Kashtan anti-aircraft assembly, Club-N anti ship missile line, Puma -Universal artillery set-up. In 2002, Rosoboronexport arms exporting company signed a deal with Baltic Shipyard for manufacturing 2 destroyers for China. Baltic Shipyard was converted into a joint stock company in 1997 with UNEXIM Bank as the major shareholder.

Показать еще
In other media