LVOV, August 30 (Itar-Tass) — A trunk pipeline explosion left half of Uzhgorod - the administrative center of Ukraine's Zakarpatye region - without gas supply. On Monday, repair teams of the local electric utility accidentally damaged a 500-mm pipe as they were carrying out unsanctioned work near Russkaya Street, Uzhgorod mayor Viktor Pogorelov said.
A gas leak caused an explosion and set the nearest cafe on fire. Three persons were injured, including a cafe employee who suffered burns to 90 percent of the body.
The gas supply service teams who were making rounds of the apartments in the area of the accident, reported an excessive content of gas, and the authorities made haste to evacuate 140 people from nearby houses.
As gas mixture filled sewage and cable ducts, the affected district was cut off from water- and electricity supply.
Repair works are underway round the clock. Almost 15,000 residents remain without gas supply. Mayor Viktor Pogorelov promised to restore electricity supply within 24 hours, and gas supply in the next two to three days.
The regional commission on industrial and environmental safety and emergencies assigned "regional level" to the accident.